Welcome, formerly known as 'Salford Swim Swim'. This is a Manchester blog about running and swimming and random stuff. Oh and mental health, it is good to be mentally healthy. Which we of course are not.......so if you're not too then check this out.........Moodswings




Sunday, 21 April 2013

London Marathon 2013 - Good luck Kath you fool

Today is Kath's big day, as I write this from my toasty bed with my little kitten snoring next to me this in no way a euphemism, I actually have a Burmese kitten Kath will be shuffling along with 35,000 others in the start of the London Marathon.



The start of the race is the worst, for one you're shitting yourself, your heart starts beating faster. Nervous tension takes over and despite 50 priors wee's you will undoubtedly get a sudden urge to use the toilet - either for a non existent wee (because you expelled any liquid from your body in the previous 50 urinations) or because you're about to experience nervous diarrhoea.

You're usually freezing and fall victim to the flimsiness of your breathable clothes and your forced to engage in small talk with all the other folks around you.  Something that Kath will hate.

Race starts pretty much resemble a EDL rally being kettled into a pig pen.  I haven't been in one race yet where someone hasn't farted.

Despite this, when the gun goes off and you start shuffling along with thousands of others there is a sudden rush of adrenaline that tells you 'this is it, this is what I've been training for'. That feeling is hard to beat and despite my jibes I am so jealous of Kath right now.

Kath is one of the most inspirational people I know. She has trained for this marathon with little warning and has done so with the same determination she used to give up drinking.  26.2 miles is a bloody long way and every mile she runs she will do with Moodswings in mind.

If you want to read Kath's story you can do in this blog and if you want to donate you can do here...


I can't write this without a little mention of my other pal Sarah Leech, little Leechie only has short legs and she has been busting a gut training to raise funds for the Christie Cancer Hospital in Manchester. Her dedication is no less impressive that Kath's, she's a quiet little hero but a hero nevertheless.

Well done Leechie, I am tremendously proud of you.



You can read Sarah's story here, if you can throw her some money she would appreciate it -



Good luck birds, I am thinking of you both and if Kath didn't have a text from me saved in her phone (saying I will never do a marathon) I would have been there with you.

One of these days I am going to get all my gammy limbs fixed so I can run that frigging race.

Big hugs out to Boston as well, it seems wrong not thinking of them today. Don't pick on marathon runners, they are the strongest people going.

Peace out

Sammy  xxxx

on second thoughts I take it all back, I'm staying in bed with this chap..




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts