Welcome, formerly known as 'Salford Swim Swim'. This is a Manchester blog about running and swimming and random stuff. Oh and mental health, it is good to be mentally healthy. Which we of course are not.......so if you're not too then check this out.........Moodswings




Sunday, 14 April 2013

It's Good to Talk



I was just at work trying to work out what Sam was singing this time and wishing she’d stop, when my mobile went. An unknown number. Clearly one of the kids was in trouble. Again.


Mentally working out the train times, telling my boss I had to go and putting my coat on I answered in my best I Am a Responsible Mother At All Times Even When I Am At Work Voice. Some chap started talking. “Blah, blah, blah sports” he said. 


Not the kids then. They don’t do sport. Must be something I’ve ordered online. Something completely essential that I can’t quite remember ordering. I should probably cancel it while I’ve got him on the phone.




Then he mentioned parkrun, and I started listening. He was talking about the Lucozade Sports “Chase the Place” competition they’d had at the end of last year. To enter you had to participate in the last 6 parkruns of 2012. 


Coincidentally at much the same time I realised I’d done 43 parkruns and, if I did all the intervening runs, I’d run my 50th on New Year’s Day. The Big 50 is a big deal in parkrun – you get a T-shirt with 50 on it and a sense of belonging to something amazing and a huge dash of smugness particularly on New Year’s Day when everyone else is in bed with a hangover. I have been known to get a bit obsessive about things like that (occasions, not T-shirts) so there was really never any doubt that I would run these particular six runs.  





The prize was a place in the London Marathon, and the Man From Lucozade Sports was ringing to say I’d won! 


I got off the phone. Sam was doing her “Kath’s got to do a Marathon” dance round the office. The news started to sink in. I was currently running 3 miles three or four times a week. I now had to get so I could run 26.2 miles, all in one go, in ten weeks. 


Oh bother.



MOODSWINGS

http://www.justgiving.com/Kath-Henderson2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts