Welcome, formerly known as 'Salford Swim Swim'. This is a Manchester blog about running and swimming and random stuff. Oh and mental health, it is good to be mentally healthy. Which we of course are not.......so if you're not too then check this out.........Moodswings




Saturday, 1 October 2011

Parkrunning

I marshalled at my local Parkrun this morning. Now I like to think I'm as jaded, cynical and downright grumpy as the next person, hopefully more so, but there's something terribly life-affirming about Parkrun. 

Me in a high-vis jacket, being important

As a marshall I got to see the diversity of people who take part - people of all ages, stages, shapes, sizes and abilities were coming past me. There are serious proper runners in all the kit there, but also plenty of people who probably won't do any other exercise until the same time next week.

The thing each and every one of them has in common is that they are just dead chuffed to be there, even though it's really early on a Saturday morning. It's free, nobody's trying to flog you anything (other than an optional cup of coffee and a homemade cake at the end) and you get to do a timed run (or walk, or a combination of the two) round the same course each week, in all weathers.

And the sun was shining, and I didn't have to run up the bloody big hill three times cos I was marshalling, so all in all a very good start to the weekend. And I will stop this uncharacteristic gushing now - it won't happen again.

Now don't tell Sam, but I've bought some more running stuff. I know it's mega hot today, but I thought I'd better prepare for winter running, or I won't do any. My plan is to do the Yule Yomp in Tatton Park on 11 December. It's 10K which is considerably shorter than a half-marathon, I might get to see some deer, and you get a Warburton's goody bag at the end. What more could a girl ask for? So I've got some long running tights, a long-sleeved wicking top, some gloves and a hat. The Internet also thinks I need some trail shoes, and the Internet's very clever at knowing what I should buy next, and I've found some purple ones, and they've got money off, and let's face it it's going to happen. 
 
My reasoning is that they cost less than I would have spent on booze this week. 


I really should learn to use that justification just once a week.


Kath x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts