Welcome, formerly known as 'Salford Swim Swim'. This is a Manchester blog about running and swimming and random stuff. Oh and mental health, it is good to be mentally healthy. Which we of course are not.......so if you're not too then check this out.........Moodswings




Sunday, 11 September 2011

slimming world creamy tomato and spinach curry. yummy - honest


Bonjour

A lovely little skinny lady gave me this recipe for a Slimming World Curry that I have recently become obsessed with. I believe it is 'free' on the 'extra easy' plan - whatever that means?

It is pretty low fat so I thought I would share it with you, the bhajis and samosas and mango chutney however are not low fat. I don't care I wanted them.




So here's what you need -
  • 2 chicken/turkey breasts or quorn for the veggies
  • 1 large white onion
  • 1 red chilli
  • 1 bag of spinach
  • 2 cloves of garlic (or lazy garlic if you're lazy like me)
  • 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (2 if you like it extra saucey)
  • 7 tbsp of low fat yoghurt or 2 tbsp of low fat creme fraiche (CF is much nicer and creamier in my opinion)
  • 200ml of chicken or vegetable stock (I just use an chicken oxo cube)
  • Fry light cooking spray
  • Basmati rice
  • fresh coriander (if you can be bothered - not essential)
spices -
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp tumeric
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp madras powder
  • 1 tsp chilli (if you like it a bit hotter)
Brown the onions in a pan with fry light

Add garlic and chilli and fry a little more



pre-heat the oven for these babies if you're being naughty

my little cheat


Add spices and dry fry these for 1 minute

add meat (if you are using quorn please don't add this until the last 5 mins)

dry fry the meat for a minute with the onion and spices to release the flavour.


stir in chopped tomatoes

add stock as well

keep on a low heat and give a good stir

then add your spinach

keep stirring until the spinach has wilted


then pop a lid on for 5 minutes


take lid off and let the pan simmer for 10 mins or until the sauce has reduced.

start on your rice, add a mug of basmati rice to boiling water and cook


chop some fresh coriander  - it takes this dish up another level

pop a couple of these in the microwave for 1 minute



Eat with Sainsburys basics mango chutney, the best and only 77p
add a little of your chopped coriander


keep stirring then add some more coriander


then serve and enjoy!


Sam x

5 comments:

  1. lovely curry! also added chopped toms, red onion, spring onions and peppers and 1 tine of toms was enough sauce- and i like my curries saucey! also added a bit of chilli powder! the basis of the curry was creamy and very tasty- used low fat yoghurt as couldnt find low fat creme fresh for the life of me and i can imagine if i did manage to find it then it would be even more delish! added spinach as a garnish to be fancy! will try to upload a pic if i can :) LDB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, I like that you have pimped yours up too. All suggestions welcome.

      I like lots of spice so I tend to add a fair bit of curry powder too, the great thing is you can add this to taste.

      Creme Fraiche or Yoghurt, either work but the later is lower in fat. Would love to see a photo.

      x

      Delete
  2. My fella and I just made this - we couldnt find madras powder so used garam masala instead and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Jen. There is plenty of room to tweak this recipe. I generally through whatever spices i have in it. I have done it with tumeric before instead of madras powder (cause I didn't have my glasses on) and it was still lovely.

      Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic recipe, thanks. My family dont realise they are all on the SW meals!

    SW Member 3 weeks 6.5 lbs lost so far and im loving it

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts