Welcome, formerly known as 'Salford Swim Swim'. This is a Manchester blog about running and swimming and random stuff. Oh and mental health, it is good to be mentally healthy. Which we of course are not.......so if you're not too then check this out.........Moodswings




Monday, 26 September 2011

Blog Minestrone

I've been inundated by a request to carry on blogging. Plus I was celebrity-spotted by a blogreader while shopping in Sainsbury's on Friday*. So on we go - I can't let our public of atleast two people down.


So I'd better find some stuff to write about. This blog, as far as I remember, is about swimming (haven't done any), running (done very little), mental health (got 3 out 30 on a self esteem assessment at my CBT session - so that's another thing I can't do...) and Manchester (which I've really had enough of right now cos my bit of it is full of students who may well be very bright, but cannot walk above a snail's pace and need to stop right in front of me every 13 seconds to check their texts).


Now I come to think of it, we do sometimes give you some crap recipes, so here's one of mine. This one does not involve either a George Foreman grill or a sauce out of a jar so is a bit of a departure for me. 


Kath's End of the Month Soup


(Nicked from Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Kitchen - from a time when veggie cookbooks and food were as God intended - brown)




Two onions
Four sticks of celery
2 cloves of garlic 
A largish carrot
A couple of peppers
Two tins of tomatoes liquidised if you remember which I didn't
1800ml veg stock
1 teaspoon oregano
4 teaspoons fresh basil of 2 teaspoons dried basil
Half a teaspoon rosemary
4 tablespoons tomato puree
Macaroni
2 dessertspoons soy sauce
Pepper


Chop up onions, celery and garlic. Heat slowly in oil for about ten minutes.








This does not give you the time to make the stock, cut up the peppers and carrot, try and find some herbs to replace the ones it says in the recipe, open and liquidise two tins of tomatoes, and measure out the tomato puree, so you may want to do some of this before you start instead of burning the onions, celery and garlic.



Add all the things I just mentioned to the pan. At this point you will find you have started in a pan that is too small and will need to transfer the lot to something the size of a bucket.




Put lid on pan and leave to simmer for 40 minutes. 


Clear away the vegetable peelings etc. If you live in Bolton you will be able to put these in your new food waste bin - well done Bolton Council for bringing these in!


Yes, you are now looking at my rubbish.

Take the lid off, add soy sauce, pepper and macaroni and simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes.


Serves 7 people with decent appetites. I know this because I have just put it in 5 lunchboxes for me to take to work every bloody day, and got two portions for the kids tomorrow.


I am going to be flipping bored of Minestrone by the weekend....




*OK, so it was by Sam's mate Jane, but it still counts.

1 comment:

  1. A great post for a great book- I used to sell it in bucket loads when I worked for the BBC World Service Information Centre. Then I took a copy to Poly when I moved to Manchester and lived off it for 3 years. I still dip into it from time to time all these decades later ;-)

    Chrissy http://mancunianwave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts