Welcome, formerly known as 'Salford Swim Swim'. This is a Manchester blog about running and swimming and random stuff. Oh and mental health, it is good to be mentally healthy. Which we of course are not.......so if you're not too then check this out.........Moodswings




Thursday, 21 April 2011

first open water swim


Oh my, nothing could prepare Kath and I for our first dip in the Quays. It was flipping freezing, like Jack Frost is sucker punching your lungs.

Kath is a nut, she just jumped in. I had to slowly lower my extremities in one bit at a time.


So here are a few photos for you to enjoy.


See those floating things, we had to swim round them, brrr.


The highlight for me was when I swam round to the other side of the Quay, a load of teen types were sat at the side. I had me a little rest cause well wetsuits make you float quite well. As I popped my head out of the water I heard someone say "hiya".

I turned around and they were waving, how nice I thought. Then they shook a orange bag at me and shouted in their fine Manc accents - "Do you want a Doh' ritoh?".

I declined their kind offer on the basis that 'Doh' ritoh's' (as they called them) didn't float overly well and not to mention the fact that their structure (or should I say crispness) would be irreparably altered for the worst.

They tipped their top hats at me and waved me on while I desperately gasped my way back to the pontoon. I was half expecting them to throw bricks at me so I was pleasantly surprised when they offered me sustenance.

I love Salford, the natives are reet friendly.

RE: Open water swimming, it is bloody hard and Kath and I are proper bricking it.


Happy Bank Holiday Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts