Welcome, formerly known as 'Salford Swim Swim'. This is a Manchester blog about running and swimming and random stuff. Oh and mental health, it is good to be mentally healthy. Which we of course are not.......so if you're not too then check this out.........Moodswings




Sunday, 27 March 2011

Trying to keep up with Sam's prolific blogging....


So, with Tom's words of encouragement ringing in my ears, I started navigating the NHS' support for kicking the booze. This seemed to consist of them calling me in to ask me some questions, then making me another appointment in a fortnight's time so that someone else could ask me the same questions.


I had an assessment of my mental health - I was clearly none too well, but was told there was nothing to be done until I was off the booze. The Addiction Dependency Solutions service offered plenty of group sessions, but there was nothing I could go to as it was all in worktime. And I'm sure AA is a wonderful thing which works well for huge numbers of people. I just don't happen to be one of them.


Fortunately, during this time of waiting I saw Tom regularly. It was not a happy time - I was absolutely terrified of an impending life without alcohol - but Tom always helped me to see the brighter side and seemed to believe in me being successful. He worked with me on positive, practical solutions for how to change my life. Drinking takes up a lot of time if you do it as properly as I did, so we looked at ways that I would fill that.


Coincidentally, one of the plans that I came up with for filling that time was training for and doing the Great Salford Swim. Although admittedly I forgot to factor in blogging time....



And here is a picture of some stepladders. I include this as I had a huge panic attack on similar stepladders when getting the Christmas decorations down from the loft. That's the same stepladders that I was on when I was dancing on one leg to The Cure when decorating my bedroom a couple of weeks ago....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts